Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Cocktail Sauce

There are some things I just won't buy. Like I have to make it myself because I've convinced my crazy brain that there's no way storebought even comes close. Obviously mayonnaise does not fall into this category. We all know I love my Duke's. These things do include poundcake, pimento cheese, and cocktail sauce. Boiled shrimp and cocktail sauce are a mainstay at our tailgates and family gatherings. Sometimes we swap out the shrimp for crab meat and pour it over cream cheese. It's the business.


Four ingredients. There's really no excuse for not making it. You need: Ketchup, worcestershire sauce, prepared horseradish, and fresh lemon juice.

All you do is combine everything in the bowl you want to serve in. It's that easy.

You can adjust the amount of horseradish. I like a good kick with my cocktail sauce. If you want another layer of heat, a dash of hot sauce is always a good idea.

I boil my shrimp with Old Bay and call it a day. You can serve the shrimp warm or cold, and melted butter never hurt anybody. 

I'm basically an expert at getting all the meat out of a shrimp tail. I realize that's kind of like the Aquaman of expertise- it qualifies, but it's kind of lame. Except that more shrimpness is never lame. It's only delicious.

Cocktail Sauce (makes about half a cup)

1/2 c ketchup
2 1/2 tsp prepared horseradish
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Squeeze of fresh lemon juice
Dash of hot sauce (optional)

  • Combine all ingredients in your preferred serving bowl. Then eat some shrimp!

No comments:

Post a Comment