Monday, October 29, 2012

Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats

I'd like to start by dedicating this post to Marcus Lattimore, who has to be one of the most well-liked and well-respected college athletes I've ever seen. I realized some of y'all have no idea who I'm talking about. He's a running back for the Gamecocks, and he suffered what looked to be a horrific injury this past Saturday. Since then he's received an outpouring of love and support not only from Gamecock fans, but other players, athletes, and fans. He's basically an insanely talented, incredibly humble young man, and this is my small gesture of support.

I have no idea if he likes rice crispy treats or if he'd like the addition of peanut butter, but I know I'm wholly consumed with desire for these things. So y'know, trust me on this.

Just a few more ingredients than your traditional treats. You'll need: Rice cereal, mini marshmallows, peanut butter, brown butter, malted milk, cinnamon, and salt.

Toss the marshmallows and butter in a microwave safe bowl. I figure if you're going to melt butter you might as well brown it, right? In any case, try to get the marshmallows well-coated.

Microwave on high in 30-second intervals for 1 minute. Honestly, I don't know how not to microwave on high. Stir the melty marshmallows until they're smooth.

Add the malted milk powder, cinnamon, and salt to the bowl.

Stir it in until it's lump-free.

Add the peanut butter and microwave another 30 seconds.

Stir, stir, stir to fully incorporate the peanut butter. I used a natural peanut butter because I didn't want any added sugar. I figure the marshmallows will make it sweet enough.

Pour in the rice cereal and stir.

No, seriously, this will give you a little arm workout.

Press the mixture into a baking dish sprayed with nonstick spray. Or you could oil it with vegetable oil. Whatever rolls your socks.

Let it cool in the pan before you slice them up.

Confession: I initially balked at gilding the lily, but when I saw a box of rice crispy treats at Publix I was a woman possessed. I'm pretty sure I ate about 80% of these.

I actually ate these with red wine, not milk, as my dessert each night last week. What? Don't judge.

Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats (makes 12-16 bars, depending on size)
Adapted from The Kitchn

1 (10-10.5 oz) bag mini marshmallows*
4 tbs brown butter
1/4 c malted milk powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 c peanut butter
5 1/2 c crisp rice cereal

  • Spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick spray. 
  • In a microwave-safe bowl, toss the marshmallows and brown butter. Get the marshmallows as coated in butter as possible. 
  • Microwave on high for 1 minute in 30-second intervals. Stir the marshmallows until smooth. Stir in the malted milk, cinnamon, and salt until lump-free.
  • Add the peanut butter and microwave another 30 seconds. Stir until the peanut butter is completely incorporated. Add the cereal and stir to coat the cereal.
  • Scrape the mixture into the prepared pan. Using your hands (spray them with nonstick spray if they're sticking), press the mixture into the pan. Let cool and cut into desired size/number of bars.
*Note: I used Publix brand marshmallows, which come in a 10.5 oz bag. I think most other brands will come in a 10 oz bag. Either one is fine. 



No comments:

Post a Comment