Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Rosemary & Goat Cheese Corn Muffins

DSC_0307_edited-1
Is anybody else's behind getting kicked by the time change? Because mine majorly is. I mean, I like the extra hour of daylight, blah blah blah...but I don't like not being able to fall asleep and then waking up even earlier than usual. Even my run game is off. To be fair, I know I run better in the morning than at, say, 4 PM. But something was just wonky.

DSC_0302_edited-1
This. This is what I felt like after my run. Just...unset. Kind of wiggly. 

DSC_0318_edited-1
I'd rather feel like this. Together. Sweet. Buttery? Ugh, let's just shake it out and make fancied up corn muffins.

DSC_0270_edited-1
Let's be real. It's just like making cornbread except it's in muffin form. You'll need: flour, cornmeal, buttermilk, an egg, goat cheese, rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

DSC_0272_edited-1
Chop the rosemary until you don't have any super big pieces left.

DSC_0278_edited-1
Add the rosemary, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the flour and cornmeal.

DSC_0282_edited-1
Mix with a fork until everything is evenly distributed.

DSC_0283_edited-1
Crack the egg into your buttermilk and give it a vigorous whisk. I definitely used the same fork I stirred the dry ingredients with. I must mention the buttermilk I used. If you're in South Carolina, try to find milk from Hickory Hill Farm. It's seriously the best buttermilk I've ever used.

DSC_0289_edited-1
Wet goes into dry and mixing brings it all together.

DSC_0294_edited-1
Crumble in some goat cheese and gently fold it in.

DSC_0297_edited-1
Scoop the corn muffin batter into a greased muffin tin. It's a pretty thick batter, so scooping is easy.

DSC_0305_edited-1
Bake until the tops are golden and set. I mean, I don't think I've every made a cuter muffin. 

DSC_0321_edited-1
So you know how I don't believe in sweet cornbread? Well in the spirit of contradiction, I recommend finding some good preserves and smearing them over warm, buttered corn muffins. Such a good breakfast.

DSC_0313_edited-1
A drizzle of honey ain't bad either, y'all. 

Rosemary & Goat Cheese Corn Muffins (makes 12 muffins)

1 c cornmeal
1 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
Heaping tablespoon chopped rosemary
1 c buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 c goat cheese, crumbled
  • Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and rosemary.
  • Measure the buttermilk and crack the egg into the cup. Whisk together until combined.
  • Add the buttermilk mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Fold in the goat cheese. 
  • Portion the batter into the muffin cups. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
  • When muffins are cool enough to handle, take them out of the tin and let cool. Serve warm with butter (and honey or preserves if you like it on the sweet side).


No comments:

Post a Comment