Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shortcakes with Coconut Creme

DSC_0606_edited-1
Let's take a minute to talk about this new exercise class I've been taking. By "I've been taking", I mean I've gone to exactly 4 classes. It's called PureBarre, and it kicks my hiney. I mean my seat. Have you done PureBarre? 

DSC_0619_edited-1
The whole point that you push each muscle group to the point of fatigue. You basically want every part of your body to shake. Sometimes (Read: all the times) that means I jiggle and wiggle as I walk out. Because my limbs don't know what to do with themselves while my muscles are dead to the world.

DSC_0622_edited-1
Shortcakes with strawberries and coconut creme seem...contrary to this. Except after all that work, you need something to revitalize you. And well, I just don't really like coconut water, okay, Madonna?

DSC_0564_edited-1
Shortcakes are simple. Flour, maple syrup, sugar, buttermilk, butter, egg, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and chocolate chunks. I like to chunk my own chocolate.

DSC_0570_edited-1
Stir the flour, baking soda, powder, salt, and sugar together with a fork. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender.

DSC_0572_edited-1
Mayyybe, you forget to mix those things mentioned above before you cut in the butter. Honestly, it'll still turn out fine. Just try not to be like me.

DSC_0581_edited-1
Add the chocolate chunks and just toss them in the flour a bit. I didn't use a whole lot of chocolate because I wanted to just have a hint of chocolate in each bite. Feel free to make yours as chocolatey as you like.

DSC_0577_edited-1
Vigorously stir together the buttermilk, egg, and maple syrup. See that super-bright yellow coloration? That's what happens when you use super-fresh eggs. It's super.

DSC_0583_edited-1
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.

DSC_0590_edited-1
A good mixing gives you a sticky dough.

DSC_0593_edited-1
These shortcakes are not for rolling and cutting out. These are like drop biscuits, which makes them the easiest thing on the planet. Bake until lovely and golden!

DSC_0596_edited-1
Here's the completely unnecessary but totally necessary part. Coconut creme. It's just vanilla extract, full-fat coconut milk, and a little sugar.

DSC_0599_edited-1
You need to refrigerate the coconut milk at least a few hours to get it to separate. This is why full-fat is important--light coconut milk just ain't gonna cut it. I would also like to mention that I'm calling it coconut creme instead of cream because I think I let a little too much of the not-cream part get in my mixture. It didn't whip up like whipped cream would, but it was so good I didn't care.

DSC_0601_edited-1
Seriously, just chill the bowl and whip the coconut cream, vanilla, and sugar together.

DSC_0603_edited-1
It's time for it all to come together. This is what my thighs worked for. This is why I look crazy awkward for 55 minutes.

DSC_0611_edited-1
For melty chocolate in a tender, tangy-sweet cake.

DSC_0612_edited-1
For ripe strawberries that don't need any help from sugar.

DSC_0617_edited-1
For sweet, creamy (creme-y?) coconut.

DSC_0621_edited-1
And just because it feels good.

Strawberry Chocolate Chip Shortcakes with Coconut Creme (makes 6 servings)

Shortcakes:

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
1 tbs sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/3 c unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1 oz chocolate chunks
1/2 c buttermilk
1 egg
1 tbs maple syrup

Coconut Creme:

1 (5.5 oz) can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated several hours or overnight
1 tbs sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 pint strawberries, quartered
  • Preheat your oven to 400ยบ. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Chill a small bowl in the freezer.
  • In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt with a fork. Cut in the cold butter with a pastry cutter or 2 knives until butter is the size of large peas. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
  • Whisk together buttermilk, egg, and maple syrup. Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir together until just combined.
  • Use a large spoon to drop the dough into six equal cakes. Bake 12-15 minutes or until just golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack.
  • While shortcakes cool, prepare coconut creme. Turn the can of chilled coconut milk upside down and open. Drain the liquid and set aside for another use. Scoop out the cream into the bowl that's been chilling in the freezer.
  • Add sugar and vanilla and whip until smooth. You can use either a whisk or a hand mixer for this. 
  • To serve: Cut a shortcake in half and top with strawberries and coconut creme. 




No comments:

Post a Comment