Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Football Feast Pt. 1

Um, yeah.  This needs multiple parts.  Let's just review some college football highlights first, shall we?

Starting with Carolina (obvi--they're my team).  I nearly had a heart attack.  Or an aneurysm.  Or both.  My head almost exploded.  I can only hope that they were holding back a smidge because it was ECU, and they're supposed to win.  But I have to hand it to the Pirates, they put up a good fight.  I have a feeling they'll do really well in their conference this year.  That being said, I'm glad we put up 56 points and won.

I really have to hand it to Stephen Garcia and his freshly shaven face.  He revitalized the offense and wasn't afraid to run when he needed to.  Here's to hoping his troubles are behind him.

LSU showed Oregon that changing your uniform every game does not a BCS contender make.  I wish Georgia had taught Boise State a similar lesson.  Boise played a good game, but they just don't have the schedule strength to convince me they're the top team.  And while we're thinking of teams who have been arguing for a shot at the BCS, I'd like to thank Baylor for the upset over TCU.

This Saturday: Gamecocks vs. Georgia at Sanford Stadium in Athens.  Should be a good game.

Today we're going to look at the ham rolls I mentioned last post.  Be warned, they're addictive.  Salty ham, bright Swiss cheese, and a lotta butta.


They're easy peasy.  You need a package of dinner rolls, thinly sliced ham, Swiss cheese slices, butter, Worcestershire sauce, yellow mustard, and poppy seeds.

You want your butter to be soft for easy mixing.  Stir together the butter, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and poppy seeds together.

It'll look a bit like this.

Slice the dinner rolls in half horizontally.  I think it's easiest to do if you break the rolls into two halves. Also, use a serrated knife when cutting bread.  Don't worry if it doesn't look like the prettiest thing in the world.  Melty cheese and butter will take care of any problems.

Spread the cut side of the tops and bottoms with the butter mixture.

Pile on the ham!

Looking back, I don't really know why I tore the slices in half.  Clearly I could've just laid down a slice of cheese for a square of four rolls.  Do that.

Put the tops on the bottoms and salivate over what you know will happen.  The butter will melt and soak into the buns, and the cheese will melt.  The ham might even get a little crispy around the edges.

Cover the rolls in foil and bake them at 350º for about 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted sufficiently.  Slice the rolls and serve them on a platter.

Nom.

I honestly didn't measure anything.  It's the sort of thing that's perfectly okay to eyeball.  You can also change things up.  Don't like Swiss cheese?  Boom, cheddar.  Or Muenster.  Gouda and Gruyere also work nicely.  If you want a recipe to follow, click on the link:  Ham Rolls.  Either way, make these for your next tailgate or football party!

No comments:

Post a Comment