Friday, December 23, 2011

Swedish Wedding Cookies

I don't like to brag or toot my own horn.  I like to be self-deprecating because...well it's funnier.  But, y'all, I got all my Christmas shopping done in about an hour yesterday.  We're not talking online either.  To be fair, I stayed at one shopping center.  But really, I kicked ass.  'Scuse my language.  I didn't get random crapola either.  Each gift was exactly what I wanted to give each person.  I even got myself a birthday outfit.  Boom.
What do you call these cookies?  We call them wedding cookies or Russian tea cakes depending on our moods.  Some of my friends call them pecan sands.  I've been making them my whole life practically, and they're one of those cookies that instantly brings up holiday memories.  Speaking of holidays, my birthday is tomorrow, so this will be the last post until after Christmas.  I hope y'all all have happy holidays, no matter what you celebrate.  This is a beautiful time of year.



You need: All-purpose flour, powdered sugar, pecans, butter, and vanilla extract.  That's it.  These are beyond easy to put together.
Go ahead and get your pecans ready.  You can buy finely chopped pecans, so do that if you can.  I had chopped pecans, so I just gave them a ride in the ol' food processor.  Easy peasy, just a little extra cleanup.
Cream the butter and powdered sugar together until fluffy.
Go ahead and beat the vanilla extract in now.
Mix in the flour until it's just combined.
Now stir in the chopped pecans.  I did this part by hand just to make sure I didn't overmix it.  Refrigerate the dough about 30 minutes just to make it easier to handle.
Take teaspoonfuls of dough and roll them into balls.  Place them on a parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Bake 8-10 minutes at 375º.
They flatten a little at the bottom but still retain a pretty round shape.
Roll those suckers in powdered sugar while they're still hot.
 Sometimes big clumps of sugar might stick to them.  That's way okay.
They're super pretty when packaged as part of a gift.  And guess what?  They make a nice gift any time.  Not just the holidays.  But no one's going to complain if you make them right now.  Or y'know tomorrow.
They really won't complain if you serve bourbon balls next to them.  Just sayin.

Swedish Wedding Cookies
Adapted from Cooking the Jamestown Way*

2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 c powdered sugar + more for coating
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 c to 2 c all-purpose flour
1 c finely chopped pecans

  • Cream butter and 1/2 c powdered sugar together until fluffy.  Add vanilla extract and mix until combined.  Add 1 3/4 c flour and mix until just combined.  Add remaining 1/4 c flour if dough looks too soft.  Stir in pecans.  Refrigerate dough 30 minutes.
  • Preheat oven to 375º.  Form teaspoonfuls of dough into balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.  Bake 8-10 minutes.  Roll in powdered sugar while still hot.  
*This is a local cookbook from 1976.  There's no way to purchase it online, but it might be in some local SC libraries.


No comments:

Post a Comment