Monday, February 6, 2012

Brie Bites

I'll be real.  I'm in total Valentine's mode right now.  Not that I'm, like, in love with it or anything.  That would be silly.  But there's so much food you can make for it!  It's a serious excuse to go decadent with either your friends or significant other.  I don't so much mind that it's a greeting card holiday because I like funny cards.  And when have I ever turned down chocolate?

But who says you have to do "traditional" things on Valentine's day?  For reals, going out to dinner can be a nightmare.  Plus, it's very rare that it lands on a weekend anyway.  I think it's much more interesting and thoughtful to cook.  And so what if you don't have someone special to spend it with?  Friends are special, too.  I'm really speaking to the ladies here because I don't think I've ever met a guy who lamented the fact he didn't have someone on Valentine's day.  Okay, okay.  I'm hokey.  I like to celebrate the people I love with food.  And if there's a designated day on the calendar to do it, I'm gonna have fun with it.

Oh jeez.  All that to say I think you should make these little brie bites.  I think they'd be precious as an hors d'oeuvre for friends or that special someone.  Fact:  I can eat about 20 of these things, and they make about 25-30.  So depending on how many people you want to feed, you might want to adjust the quantities as appropriate.
Seriously, less than 5 ingredients.  Creamy brie, wonton wrappers, jam, and melted butter (optional).  It's sort of like making individual brie en croutes, which I happen to lurve.  I like a jam with some tartness.  Off-brand grape jelly ain't gonna cut it.  Pick a nice blackberry or raspberry jam (seedless please!) to cut the creaminess of the brie.  When you're working with so few ingredients, the quality is really important.  Now, you might not have too many choices when it comes to wonton wrappers, but a good jam and brie will make all the difference.
Pay attention.  Because what I'm about to show you might blow your mind.  Or make you hungry.  Probably the latter.  Lay out a wonton wrapper.
Cut a little hunk of brie.  About a 1-inch piece.
Put the brie in the middle of the wonton wrapper.
Add a dollop of jam.
 Dip your finger in a little water and run it along the edges of the wrapper.  This is what will help the wonton stick to itself.
Fold two opposing corner toward each other and lightly press to seal.
Side view!
Bring the other two corners up to meet.
Try to close up the holes.  If you need a little more water, just dip your finger in and lightly work with it.  You could leave it like this.
Or you can bring the four new corners up to make a little purse.  Isn't that precious?!
Repeat as many times as you need.
Now you don't have to brush these with butter.  I just did it because I liked the way it looked after it came out of the oven.  I assure you that it tastes just as delicious without the butter.  I...tested.
Bake those bad boys until they get golden brown without burning the ends.
Close-up!
You're going to have to wait a few minutes after they come out of the oven to eat them.  Unless you like burning your mouth on hot cheese.  We all have secrets.
 They're just so cute not to share!  Like I said, I love brie en croute, and I could eat a whole one if left to my own devices.  So these let me have my brie with a little less guilt about eating it all.

Brie Bites (makes 25-30)

Wonton wrappers
1/2 lb wedge of Brie, cut into 1-inch chunks
Jam (Seedless raspberry or blackberry are preferred)
Water in a shallow dish, for sealing
2 tbs butter, melted (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 350º.  Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • Lay down a wonton wrapper.  Place a piece of brie in the middle.  Top with 1/4 tsp of jam.  Dip your finger in the water and run along the edges of the wonton wrapper.  Bring two opposite corners together and seal.  Bring the other two edges together.  Seal any gaps.  Bring the four corners together to form a little purse.  Repeat until all the brie has been used.  Brush with butter, if using.  Bake 20 minutes.  Let cool 5 minutes and serve.


3 comments:

  1. i would have fried those fuckers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I like your enthusiasm for fried cheese. I'd appreciate watching the language in future comments. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is definitely going on the appetizer table this New Year Eve, thanks for the recipe! ;-)

    ReplyDelete