Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pesto Pasta with Fried Egg & Goat Cheese

Y'all, Instagram is available for Android users now!  I can take pictures on my phone like the cool kids now.  If you don't know, Instagram is an app that lets you use fun filters on pictures and share with...the world.  You can follow me at sweetsaltysc, although I imagine most of the people who read this will find me via facebook anyhow.

So this is less of a recipe, more of a suggestion.  I'm a firm believer that a runny yolk will make just about anything better.  Especially pasta.  This uses the spinach pesto I (we) made a few days ago.  You can totally use store-bought pesto if you don't have the time or inclination to make it.  In fact, the first time I made this was for my sister, and I used store-bought.  No shame in that game.
You need: pesto, goat cheese, pepper, an egg, and pasta.  I know you see that bright blue cup.  It had vinegar because I originally wanted to poach the egg.  Then I found out I'm not so good at poaching eggs.  Trust, this is a skill I will develop soon.  But today, the egg is lightly fried in olive oil.  It's still delicioso.
Cook your pasta according to the package directions- salt your pasta water well!  Drain it, then toss it in a bowl with the pesto while it's still hot.  Add a little goat cheese and stir it around.
Somewhere in all of this you want to fry an egg.  Heat a pan with a teaspoon of olive oil over medium-low heat.  I find a nonstick pan makes this way easier.  Let the white set around the edges and get sturdy enough to flip.
Flip!  Let the white on the bottom just set and remove the egg from the pan.
Place it right on top of the pesto pasta and goat cheese.
Now enjoy a bite of bright, garlicky pasta with tangy goat cheese and sumptuous egg yolk.  Seriously, the egg makes all the difference.  It may be simple, but it's a quick lunch or dinner you can have ready in no time.  And c'mon, runny yolk?  That should be all the convincing you need.

Pesto Pasta with Fried Egg & Goat Cheese (makes 1 generous serving)

1 c pasta (cavatappi, penne, or rotini would all work well)
2 tbs spinach spinach pesto (store-bought pesto may be substituted)
1 oz goat cheese
1 egg
1 tsp olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

  • Prepare the pasta according to the package directions.  Drain and toss with pesto and goat cheese in a serving bowl.  
  • Meanwhile, heat a teaspoon of olive oil in a small nonstick pan over medium-low.  Crack the egg in the pan, taking care not to break the yolk.  When the white is mostly set 2-3 minutes, flip the egg and cook an additional 30 seconds or so, just to set the rest of the egg white.  Remove from the pan and place on top of the pasta.

2 comments: