Monday, April 30, 2012

Roasted Pineapple "Piña Colada"

This drink saved me. I've had a little spring cold, and I wanted something that was full of good health but was not the green smoothies I've been drinking for weeks. This....was like a piña colada...but not. I mean it had the flavors I so enjoy but without the outrageous calorie count. Yes, the girl who puts butter on everything would like to shave a few cals off here and there. It's my prerogative!

I had this for lunch, and since I'm not a character on Mad Men...there's no rum. But you could totally add a little spiced rum to this for a poolside treat that will still make you feel good wearing that bikini. Or one-piece! I support the wearing of both. Personally, I have a Ralph Lauren one-piece that I love. And I would gladly sip this on a sunny day by the water.

The ingredients are simple, but they give such a punch of flavor. Fresh pineapple, coconut-almond milk, Greek yogurt, fresh ginger, and a wee touch of honey.

Lay pineapple wedges on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Drizzle just the tiniest bit of honey on top and roast in the oven.

They'll get just a touch of caramelization.

Then everything goes in a blender. I used my microplane to grate the ginger. It keeps you from getting big chunks of ginger. I also added a few ice cubes after the first blend.

It gets nice and frothy.

A chunk of fresh pineapple garnishes the glass. Coconut, ginger, and pineapple. Make it your favorite summer drink!

Roasted Pineapple "Piña Colada" (makes 1 large drink or 2 regular)

1/2 pineapple, cut into wedges
Drizzle of honey
1 1/4 c coconut-almond milk
1/3 c Greek yogurt
Grated ginger, to taste
4-5 ice cubes

  • Preheat oven to 400º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pineapple wedges on it. Drizzle with a little honey, about a teaspoon. Roast in the oven 15-20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Let cool.
  • In a blender, combine the pineapple, milk, yogurt, and ginger. Blend until smooth. Add the ice cubes and blend again until smooth. If desired, strain to remove pineapple pulp. (I totally didn't do this) Pour into glasses and garnish with fresh pineapple chunks.

No comments:

Post a Comment