Saturday, October 12, 2013

Muscadine Syrup

DSC_1149_edited-1
We are solidly in fall and, more importantly, fall TV. Scandal turned me inside out, The Mindy Project  and New Girl make me giggle, and Brooklyn Nine-Nine is pleasantly surprising me. I should probably be a little ashamed of how much TV programming I watch, but I'm just gonna own it. I'm much more apt to binge-watch a new show than watch a couple of movies, even if they take the same amount of my time. I just... I like short-form media. Is that a thing or did I just make it up? (I totally made it up.)

DSC_1120_edited-1
I did not make up muscadines. They are beautiful Southern grapes. With very large seeds. And they make some sweet, sweet wine. Not that I know anything about that.

DSC_1163_edited-1
I do know about the beautiful syrup they make. 

DSC_1119_edited-1
It couldn't be easier. Muscadines, a little sugar, and some allspice. 

DSC_1129_edited-1
Break down the muscadines in a pot with a little water. I used a hefty wooden spoon and a potato masher alternately. I think they both work just fine. The skins are thicker than on your average grocery store grape, so it can take a little work. Bring the muscadines and water to a boil and then turn the heat down to a simmer for 10 or 15 minutes.

DSC_1138_edited-1
Strain the juice from the solids with a fine mesh strainer. This is a good time to use that wooden spoon or potato masher to get all the grape-y goodness.

DSC_1143_edited-1
It's a beautiful, fragrant juice, and you could stop here if juice is all you want.

DSC_1147_edited-1
But me? I want syrup. So in goes the little bit of sugar and the allspice. The allspice isn't strictly necessary, but I love the warm feeling it gives me. Return the juice mixture to the pot you used earlier. Bring it to a boil then turn the heat down and let it reduce by about half. 

DSC_1150_edited-1
It thickens a little as it cools, and you're left with a sweet, fruity syrup.

DSC_1155_edited-1
It's pretty divine over bleu cheese. I think you can use this just about anywhere you'd use fig preserves. If you made a crostini with goat cheese and walnuts with a drizzle of muscadine syrup...well I could never be mad at that.

DSC_1166_edited-1
DSC_1168_edited-1

Muscadine Syrup (makes about 1/4 cup)

1 lb muscadine grapes
1/3 c water
1 tbs sugar
1/4-1/2 tsp allspice
  • In a medium saucepan, break up muscadines with a wooden spoon. Make sure all the skins are broken. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let it go for 10-15 minutes. 
  • Strain the liquid into a bowl with a fine mesh strainer. Get all that juice! 
  • Return the juice to the pot and add the sugar and allspice. Bring to a boil and stir until sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat to a simmer and let the mixture reduce by about half. Pour into a heat-proof glass or dish to cool.
  • Drizzle over cheeses and serve with crackers. Or heck, mix it into a cocktail!


No comments:

Post a Comment