Monday, November 14, 2011

Feta Squares

Do you remember that show Cybill?  Maybe not, but I do.  It's one of those shows I used to watch with my mom when I was little.  It introduced me to Cybill Shepherd and Christine Baranski, who continues to be one of my favorite actresses.  I loved her as the jaded best friend in Cybill and now as a badass lawyer in The Good Wife.  Seriously, her filmography is massive.  And she's done theatre.  So there's that.  I'm totally bringing this up because the TV Guide channel shows reruns of Cybill.  My mom and I also used to watch Murder, She Wrote.  Who doesn't love Angela Lansbury (aka Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast)?!?!  We also watched Murphy Brown and basically any show with heavy topical sarcasm or a criminal procedural.

Sorry I've been a little slack in posting lately.  Between travelling and footballing and hanging with my sister, I lost the energy for photo editing and posting.  Whomp whomp.  But I'm back, and I've got a ton of stuff to share.  Starting with feta squares.  

These bad boys are great as a little finger food or as the side to something hearty like chili.  Actually they were excellent with chili and a breeze to make.  I mean you use Bisquick.  How hard could it be?  
So you need: butter, cottage cheese, feta cheese, eggs, salt, baking powder, and an all-purpose baking mix such as, you guessed it, Bisquick.
Mix up the Bisquick with baking powder and salt.
Add the milk and feta.  Here we have the garlic and herb kind, which lends a little extra flavor.  Give it a little stir just to make the rest of it easier to stir in.
Beat the eggs and add those along with the cottage cheese, and melted butter.  Oh yeah, melt the butter too.  Give it a good mix.
Spread it in a greased jelly-roll pan and bake at 350º for about 35 minutes.
It'll be golden brown and smell herby and cheesy.
They're super moist, and the feta has just a touch of salty tang.  They're kind of addictive.  Even better, you can freeze them and pop them in the oven until they're warmed through for a quick appetizer!  

Feta Squares (makes 60)
Adapted from Southern Living

2 c Bisquick
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 c milk
1/2 c (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
4 (4 oz.) packages garlic and herb feta
1 c small curd cottage cheese
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • Preheat oven to 350º.  Mix Bisquick, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.  Add milk and feta and stir a couple of times.  Add butter, cottage cheese, and eggs and stir until the mixture is just combined.
  • Grease a 15 x 10 jelly-roll pan and spread mixture evenly in pan.  Bake 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.  Cut and serve warm.  Feta squares may be frozen and warmed in the oven.





No comments:

Post a Comment