Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Homemade Chocolate Syrup

I...have a flair for the dramatic. I don't mean that I'm an overreactor kind of dramatic. I mean that I have a sense of theater, and I appreciate a good production. This leads me to wear things like (faux) fur vests, bright coral pants, and pretty much anything that sparkles. I also rock a pixie cut.

And despite this tendency toward bold-bordering-on-gaudy-occasionally, I make an effort (sometimes) to show restraint. Sometimes that means toning things down with a houndstooth shift dress and flats. And y'know, chocolate syrup. Wait, does chocolate syrup actually tone something down? Probably not.

Actually, this might be a case of me taking something simple (2% milk) and giving it a glamour shot. Oh you know you remember glamour shots. Ugh, I always wanted one. Of course now that means I don't have blackmail worthy pictures so that might've worked out in my favor. And if you don't know what a glamour shot is, do yourself a solid and Google it. So worth it.

Five ingredients. I mean, do you even want to count how many are on the back of a bottle of the stuff in the store? You need: vanilla extract, water, sugar, salt, and unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably Dutch-process). It. Can't. Get. Easier.

Water and sugar go into a small saucepan. Whisk and bring to a boil until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Add the cocoa powder and salt. Turn the heat down to a simmer.

Whisk until it's lump-free and simmer until it thickens up a touch.

Take the mixture off the heat and let it cool a few minutes. Stir in the vanilla extract. The reason you add it off the heat is because extract is basically alcohol and you don't want to burn off the flavor.

Pretty, shiny, chocolate. Yup, right up my alley.

I think it makes sense to pour this into a measuring cup before it reaches its final destination.

Mess-free pouring right there, folks.

Don't think for a second that I didn't lick that spatula. That's good stuff!

Milk, chocolate syrup, and Bailey's (optional?).

Drizzling your own chocolate syrup into milk is way more satisfying. In fact, the only way to make it more satisfying is to milk the cow yourself. Seriously, wouldn't this be bonkers with farm-fresh milk?

P.S. When Grady saw my fur vest, he pointed to it and said "Dog." So yeah, there's that.

Homemade Chocolate Syrup (makes about 1 1/3 cups)
Barely adapted from Epicurious

1 c water
1/2 c granulated sugar
2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder (Dutch-process is preferred but natural will do)
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tbs vanilla extract

  • In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring water and sugar to a boil. Whisk until sugar has completely dissolved. Turn heat down to a simmer.
  • Whisk in the cocoa powder and salt until completely lump-free. Simmer until thickened slightly, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
  • Stir in the vanilla and let cool completely. Transfer to a squeeze bottle for easy dispensing.

No comments:

Post a Comment