Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pawleys Pie

 
I feel like I should be talking turkey. Y'all, Thanksgiving is only 14 days away. Two weeks on the nose. I just about have the menu finalized, which mostly comes from our Thanksgiving last year.

Instead I'm talking pie. And not the pumpkin or sweet potato kind that fits right in during the holiday season. This is one of my favorite local recipes. It's like a chocolate chip cookie on steroids thanks to coconut and pecans.

It's gooey, unapologetically sweet, and forms its own top crust of sorts during baking. In short, it's my heaven.

You'll need: Semisweet chocolate chips/chunks, vanilla extract, shredded sweetened coconut, sugar, roughly chopped pecans, brown butter, eggs, self-rising flour, and an unbaked 9" pie shell (not pictured). I keep self-rising flour in my pantry for recipes like this, but you can make your own by adding 1 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1/4 tsp salt to a cup of all-purpose flour.

This pie really couldn't be simpler. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, flour, brown butter, vanilla extract, and sugar.

Stir until it's smooth, which really doesn't take long. It has this wonderful caramel note from the brown butter, not to mention those flecks that I love so much.

Fold in the sweetened coconut and chocolate chips or chunks. I used both because it's what I had on hand.

I like to toast the pecans before adding them into the pie. It brings out that really nutty pecan flavor.

Pour the filling into the pie shell. You can use a store-bought crust or try this no-roll pie crust that really does make all the difference.

                                      
Spread the filling evenly in the crust and bake it about 35 minutes at 350º.

This is an anytime pie. It's an eat-on-Election-Night-while-you-bite-your-nails-over-results pie. It's a cold-fall-afternoon pie. It's a share-with-your-sister pie. And I think if you served it at Thanksgiving, the pumpkin pie might get a little jealous.

I like this pie best warm with a little barely-sweetened whipped cream. To y'know, cut the richness.

See how the chocolate chips are melty and the filling is just set? Ugh, it doesn't get any better.

I'm just a little sad that I ate the last piece last night.

Pawleys Pie (makes one 9-inch pie)

1 c granulated sugar
1/2 c butter, browned
1/2 c self-rising flour
2 large eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
3/4 c roughly chopped & toasted pecans
1/2 c sweetened coconut flakes
6 oz semisweet chocolate chips/chunks
9-inch unbaked pie shell

  • Preheat oven to 350º.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together sugar, brown butter, flour, eggs, and vanilla extract until smooth. Fold in the pecans, coconut flakes, and chocolate chips. 
  • Pour filling into the unbaked pie shell. Spread evenly over the bottom. Bake 35-45 minutes or until top is golden brown and filling is just set.
  • Serve slightly warm with barely-sweetened whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment