Sunday, November 4, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Spice

It was...a heckuva a week. In between Halloween, a family emergency (don't worry, everything's fine), and just general stuff, I was a leetle busy. Also, I met my future self at Fresh Market's Thanksgiving sampling event.

Okay, so I know there are 1,284,792 "recipes" for pumpkin pie spice floating on the interwebz. This is my personal version. It's heavy on the cinnamon with a floral finish from cardamom.

You'll need: freshly grated nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, and ginger.

I found a little salt shaker that was a good size for this. Measure the spices directly into your container of choice or measure them onto a piece of parchment/wax paper and funnel them into the container. I went with the former solely for picture-taking purposes.

 I used the business end of a knife to give them a good stir.

The reason I like the salt shaker is that it has the holes on top for when I just want a sprinkling of spice, like on some yogurt or oatmeal. Or the affogato I'm going to show you tomorrow. You can definitely adjust it to fit your personal preferences. Want a little more zing? Add more ginger. A little less clove? No problem. And since I keep all of these spices on hand anyway, it makes zero sense to buy pumpkin pie spice. Plus I'm a sucker for customizing things.

Pumpkin Pie Spice (makes almost 5 tbs)

3 tbs ground cinnamon
1/2 tbs freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 tbs ground allspice
1 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground cardamom

  • Combine spices in an airtight container or shaker. Use for sprinkling or scooping.

No comments:

Post a Comment