Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cinnamon Toast Popcorn

This list makes me glad my mom never listened to me when I wanted to get a Glamour Shot made. I was a very...theatrical child, so it made perfect sense that I would want to play dress-up and get my picture taken. My mother is a wise woman.

My love of cinnamon toast is another relic of my childhood. I'm totally not ashamed of that. This popcorn tastes just like it. The butter soaks up the cinnamon and sugar and sticks to the popcorn. I ate the whole bowl for lunch and watched What's Your Number? with Anna Faris and Chris Evans. Oh Captain America, I'll watch just about any movie in which you remove your shirt. I'm weak.

A few ingredients: A drop of buttermilk, popcorn kernels, sugar, cinnamon, salt, butter, and powdered sugar. Yup, that's half a stick of butter. What? I like crazy buttery popcorn! Who doesn't?

About a tablespoon and a half of vegetable oil goes in a cold pan with the popcorn kernels. Oh and a sprinkle of salt. Heat it over medium-high heat, and when the first couple of kernels pop (nearly hitting you in the eye) put the lid on and start sliding the pan over the burner. When the pops slow down you can take it off the heat.

 We're going to make a glaze from the buttermilk and powdered sugar.

A whisk takes care of any lumps. I originally was going for a cinnamon roll kind of popcorn, but it really tasted like cinnamon toast to me. You don't have to make the glaze, but I think it helps the cinnamon and sugar stick to the popcorn. And it provides a subtle sweet tang. And c'mon, who turns down glaze?

Oh popcorn! Did you notice I didn't show you a picture of the butter I browned? That might have a little to do with the fact that I nearly burned it. Might. But you guys know how to brown butter. Heat it in a little saucepan over medium heat, let it bubble until it starts smelling nutty and turns brown, and TAKE IT OFF THE HEAT. If you're not using it right away, pour it in a small bowl so that it doesn't burn.
Toss the popcorn with the butter first.

Then sprinkle in the cinnamon, sugar, buttermilk glaze, and a little more salt. Ohhhhh, good stuff here, folks.

 Fun fact: I don't know where this Australia cloth came from. No one claims to have bought/received it.

Do you like how I portioned this into a small bowl? Because after I took the pictures I dumped the popcorn back into the big bowl and ate it out of that. Well I didn't want to have to keep refilling that tiny bowl, y'all! So now you officially have no reason to feel guilty for eating this whole thing. I mean, sharing is caring, but not sharing means you can have as much as you want.

Cinnamon Toast Popcorn (makes enough for 2, but let's be real. 1 person can finish this off)

Heaping 1/4 c popcorn kernels
1 1/2 tbs vegetable oil
Salt, to taste
4 tbs butter, browned
3 tbs granulated sugar
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 c powdered sugar
1 tbs buttermilk

  • Combine the popcorn and vegetable oil in a medium saucepan. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt. Heat the pan over medium-high heat. When the first couple of kernels pop, cover the pan with a lid and move it from side to side over the burner. When the popping slows to a few seconds between pops, take the pan off the heat. 
  • In a large bowl, toss the popcorn with the brown butter. Sprinkle in the cinnamon, sugar, and a pinch of salt and toss. In a small bowl whisk the powdered sugar and buttermilk together until it is lump-free. Pour over the popcorn and toss. Eat immediately and unabashedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment