Strawberry Marshmallows (makes 16 large squares)
Adapted from Martha Stewart
3 (1/4 oz) packages of unflavored gelatin
3/4 c cold water water, divided
2 c sugar
2/3 c light corn syrup
1 (6 oz) package freeze-dried strawberries, ground into a powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Powdered sugar, sifted for coating
- Spray an 8x8 pan with nonstick spray. Line the pan with plastic wrap, leaving a 2-inch overhang on each side.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, pour gelatin over 1/2 c water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, combine remaining 1/4 cup water, sugar, corn syrup, and strawberry powder. Stir and bring to a boil. Boil for 1 minute then remove from heat.
- Turn the mixer on high and pour the hot liquid down the side of the bowl. Add salt and vanilla, then continue to mix for 12 minutes. Pour the marshmallow fluff into the prepared pan and spread evenly with a greased spatula. Spray another sheet of plastic wrap with nonstick spray and cover the marshmallows, spray-side down. Let stand 2 hours.
- Dust your work surface with powdered sugar. Turn the marshmallow block onto the surface and remove all the plastic wrap. Cut the block into 16 squares. Sift powdered sugar into a small bowl and coat each marshmallow with powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.