Monday, July 30, 2012

Figgy Jam Muffins

Are you watching the Olympics? I like watching gymnastics even though I was never even close to being a gymnast...ever. I did take dance and gymnastics when I was little, and the balance beam terrified me. So even though I wasn't cut out for it, I think it's insane what the human body can do. Our women's vaulting looked ridiculous last night! And the men on the high bar? I just can't fathom what that feels like. But muffins, muffins I can fathom.

Because it's Monday and Mondays are hard, I'm showing you an easy fig jam muffin. You can buy the fig jam or make your own. These muffins aren't too sweet, so you won't get a major sugar high and then crash and burn halfway through your morning. Perfect for work mornings.

You'll need: buttermilk, flour, honey, fig jam, an egg, coconut oil, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and vanilla extract.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.

 Mix your wet ingredients together right in the measuring cup if it's big enough. And here's where I tell you to do it differently from me. Go ahead and melt your coconut oil and cool it a second. I was lazy and didn't have it in a microwaveable container. But just save yourself a little headache and melt it. But don't stir it in while it's hot or it'll scramble the egg. Coconut oil melts really easily, so you shouldn't have to nuke it for long.

Wet ingredients go into dry ingredients where muffins are concerned.

Stir until the flour mixture is just moistened by the wet mixture. We still have to add our fig jam, so we don't want to end up with a brick of a muffin. It's a lumpy batter anyway, so you're not going to be able to smooth out all the lumps.

Stir in the fig jam in 4 or 5 strokes.

It'll have streaks of jam running through, which creates a lovely effect.

 Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes.

Lest you worry about the coconut oil adding a weird coconut taste, I can assure it does not. I think it makes for a light-feeling muffin with a subtle sweetness and figgy flavor.

But I'm not responsible for how much butter I you slather on.

Fig Jam Muffins (makes 12 muffins)
Adapted from Serious Eats

1 1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 c buttermilk (Regular milk may be substituted, but omit baking soda)
1/4 c coconut oil, melted and cooled slightly
1/4 c honey
1 egg
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 c fig jam

  • Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a small bowl or large measuring cup, combine buttermilk, coconut oil, honey, egg, and vanilla extract. Whisk until the honey has dissolved.
  • Pour wet ingredients into the flour mixture and stir until the flour is just moistened. Stir in the fig jam in four or five strokes. You should have streaks of jam running through the batter.
  • Divide the batter into the prepared muffin cups and bake about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool muffins completely on a wire rack.


No comments:

Post a Comment