Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Pumpkin Scones

Have you ever imagined having a conversation with someone but then it doesn't turn out at all how you pictured it? Yeah that actually didn't happen to me the other day. See, I bought a Reese's cup shaped like a pumpkin because you know the seasonal Reese's are the best and are never weird and powdery because they can't sit on the shelf that long. Will and I have talked about this before (probably because we're both weird), so I thought he'd appreciate that there's a seasonal Reese's cup out. I also knew that when I mentioned that it was pumpkin-shaped he'd think it actually had pumpkin in it. And let's just say pumpkin does not top his list of favorite foods.

Here's how that played out.
Me: Guess what's in season now! They've got pumpkin-shaped Reese's!
Will: [pause because he obviously didn't hear the word "shaped"] Okay?
Me: It's shaped like a pumpkin. There's no actual pumpkin in it.
Will: Oh! Cool. 
Me: I knew that's how this conversation would go! You'd think I said there was pumpkin in it. But there's not because that would be kind of gross. 

Aren't we fascinating? These pumpkin scones are something Will wouldn't eat for many reasons. That leaves more for me. I have no idea if they're like the Starbucks scones because I don't think I've ever had one of theirs.

Scone-y goodness: All-purpose flour, baking powder, pumpkin, cinnamon chips, butter, half & half, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, nutmeg, brown sugar, egg, and kosher salt (not pictured).

Your dry ingredients get whisked together first. Brown sugar, spices, all the good stuff.

Then comes the butter. Cut it in until you've got pea-sized pieces.

The wet ingredients need a good whisking before going into the flour mixture. It's not the prettiest mixture I've ever seen.

See, pea-sized pieces.

See, kind of ugly.

Stir in the pumpkin mixture about halfway, then add the cinnamon chips. I like to get in there with my hands and mix until the flour is just incorporated.

Pat out the dough on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Seriously, I just saw this and realized its brilliance. You don't have to dirty your counter, and it's easier to separate the scones.

Usually I shape my scone dough into a circle, but this time I went with a janky rectangle.

Cut the scones into triangles by first cutting the dough into four squares. Cut each square diagonally and you have triangles! Since they're already on the baking sheet, just wiggle them apart and leave an inch or two between scones.

After a little oven time, they'll be puffy and just golden brown on top.

These scones were begging for a maple glaze. A little powdered sugar, pure maple syrup, and a dash of kosher salt go into a too-small cup.

Do yourself a favor and mix it in an appropriately sized dish instead of having to transfer it. Whomp.

Drizzle the glaze over cooled scones and let them set for about an hour.

I think this is the perfect amount of glaze for a scone. It adds just a touch of sweetness.

They don't smack you in the face with pumpkin flavor like you might get from, say, a pie, but the cinnamon chips and spices make it a lovely accompaniment to your morning (or afternoon) coffee. Also, they're a little on the cake-y side with a beautiful tender crumb.

Honestly, I don't really eat scones with a fork. I use my hands because it's much more satisfying to lick the glaze off my fingers than a fork. But I want you to think I'm civilized.

Pumpkin Scones (makes 8 scones)

Scones:
2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 c brown sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp allspice
6 tbs unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
1/2 c pumpkin puree
3 tbs half & half
1 egg
1/2 c cinnamon chips

Maple glaze:
1/2 c powdered sugar
2 1/2 tbs pure maple syrup
1/4 tsp kosher salt
  • Preheat oven to 425ยบ. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
  • In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, cloves, ginger, and allspice. Add the butter and cut in using a pastry blender until the butter is the size of peas.
  • In a small bowl, whisk the pumpkin, half & half, and egg until smooth. Add it to the flour mixture and stir a few times. Add the cinnamon chips and mix until the flour is just incorporated. Turn the dough out onto the prepared baking sheet and pat into a rectangle about 1-inch thick. Cut into four squares and cut each square diagonally to create 8 triangular scones. Separate the scones and bake 14-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown on top. Let cool on a wire rack.
  • While scones cool, prepare the glaze. Whisk powdered sugar, syrup, and salt in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones and let set for an hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment