I think there's nothing my family loves more than a shortbread cookie. We've always had pecan sandies laying around like other families might keep Lay's potato chips or Oreos. But you know me, why buy what you can make?
These shortbread cookies are gussied up with cinnamon sugar and orange zest. Which happens to go perfectly with Russian tea. Please tell me you know what Russian tea is. It's really not tea or Russian, but it's so perfectly my childhood.
A few simple ingredients make these cookies. Powdered sugar, flour, cinnamon sugar, butter, more cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking powder, and orange zest.
Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, spices, and orange zest in a medium bowl.
A little whisking does the trick.
Now what you should probably do here is cream the butter first and gradually add the sugar. Or you can be like me and forget what the instructions actually say and do it all at once.
Life goes on and it all gets creamy.
Gradually add in your flour mixture.
Stop mixing just when a dough forms.
Divide the dough into two 1/4" disks on a sheet of wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and chill 30 minutes to an hour. Or y'know 10 minutes in the freezer because I can't read instructions and I'm occasionally impatient.
Make your life easy and roll out the dough between the two sheets of wax paper.
Your life will not be as easy if you use this snowflake cookie cutter. A tree is wayyy easier to use. Less tight spaces.
Lay the cut-out cookies on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkle the cookies with cinnamon sugar before baking.
You end up with seasonally-appropriate, fragrant cookies.
It's like my childhood Christmas met my adult Christmas and they're way cool with each other.
Cinnamon-Orange Shortbread Cookies (makes about 1 1/2 dozen cookies, depending on size)
Adapted slightly from Southern Living
1 c + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
1 tbs orange zest
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 c unsalted butter
1/4 c + 2 tbs powdered sugar
Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling (1/2 tbs sugar + 1/4 tsp cinnamon)
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to distribute evenly.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and powdered sugar. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix just until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a sheet of wax paper. Divide in half and form two 1/4-inch disks. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and chill 30 minutes to an hour.
- Preheat your oven to 350º and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out disks between the two sheets of wax paper. Cut out shapes with 3-inch cookie cutters or simply cut into rounds. Set each cookie about 1.5 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake 11-13 minutes or until just golden brown around the edges. Cool fully on a wire rack.