Saturday, December 22, 2012

Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake

DSC00435_edited-1
For the past week, I've been trying to find words where there are none. I can't help but feel a crushing heartbreak for families, children, and a community I'd never heard of before last Friday. The holidays are a season of reflection and gratitude, and I am so very grateful for the life I am able to live.

556249_10101157958778247_643351664_n
I'm thankful I could take this picture. That Santa belly is all him by the way. It's probably from the bits of cookies and whatnot I sneak him. 

DSC00395_edited-1
This pudding cake started out as a pan of cookie bars. We're making lemonade out of lemons here. Or cake out of cookies. Same thing. You'll need: flour, baking soda, salt, espresso powder, marshmallows, brown sugar, cocoa powder, butter, vanilla extract, sugar, and eggs.

DSC00397_edited-1
Dry ingredients (flour, soda, salt, espresso) make it into a medium bowl.

DSC00400_edited-1
Butter and sugars start out in a large bowl. Cream them until light and fluffy.

DSC00404_edited-1
Add the eggs one at a time and mix until fully incorporated.

DSC00409_edited-1
Now, you could sift the cocoa powder into the bowl. Or you could sprinkle a little in, mix, sprinkle a little more in...you get the picture.

DSC00415_edited-1
Serious chocolate action. It's time for the vanilla.

DSC00417_edited-1
Add half the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Then add the rest and mix until barely incorporated.

DSC00424_edited-1
Stir in the marshmallows. They're what make this hot chocolate-y.

DSC00426_edited-1
You don't have to line the baking pan with parchment paper. I did that when I thought these would turn out more like bars. Just grease the pan like you would normally and spread the batter evenly.


DSC00438_edited-1
Mostly the marshmallows will melt into the batter, making it super-gooey. But you'll see little bits that get toasted, kind of like it's been over a campfire. The edges get crispy and brownie-like, while the middle is fudgier. Much more my speed. Y'know ice cream probably wouldn't be a bad idea here.

DSC00440_edited-1

I watched White Christmas two nights ago. One particular song struck a chord with me. When I'm worried and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep. It's a sentiment that means more now than ever.

Hot Chocolate Pudding Cake (makes one 9x9 cake)

2 1/4 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tbs instant espresso powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 c unsalted butter, softened
1 c granulated sugar
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tbs vanilla extract
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 heaping cups miniature marshmallows

  • Preheat oven to 375ยบ. Grease a 9x9 pan with nonstick spray.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, espresso, salt, and baking soda. 
  • In a large bowl, cream together butter and both sugars until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until just incorporated. Stir in vanilla extract. Slowly sprinkle in cocoa powder and mix until smooth. 
  • Add half the flour mixture and mix until just incorporated. Add the remaining half and stir until just incorporated. Stir in miniature marshmallows.
  • Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 35-40 minutes or until edges are crispy and middle has set but is still gooey. Let cool in the pan.


No comments:

Post a Comment