Monday, December 3, 2012

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies

Oh, where to begin? I think with good news. So, I'm living in Columbia on a permanent basis now. Because I got a job! With a South Carolina-based company, Hotelguides.com. I'm super-excited because they seem super-awesome. My first week was last week, so training kind of derailed my normal shooting schedule. It's cool though, you're still totally getting cookies.

And these are some damn tasty cookies. I'm a sucker for dried cranberries and oatmeal cookies. So is the baby. Seriously, Grady l-o-v-e-s dried cranberries. Especially if they're in this goat cheese spread. I know, right? See, I give him little tastes of whatever I'm eating, and sometimes with cheeses he'll take it and spit it out. But he was all. about. that goat cheese.

And I've always been a fan of oatmeal cookies. No, I don't have those trust issues some people claim to have from eating an oatmeal raisin cookie and expecting chocolate chip. No, siree. I think I get it from my grandmother. She likes raisin pie.

You might remember the last time I made oatmeal cookies, they were on top of a Peach Crisp. This time they're on their own, with dried cranberries and cinnamon chips. You'll need: flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, sugar, brown butter, vanilla extract, an egg, old-fashioned oats, dried cranberries, cinnamon chips, and brown sugar.

Begin by whisking the flour, salt, cinnamon, and baking soda together.

Add the cinnamon chips, cranberries, and oats to the flour mixture.

Give them a gentle stir to distribute them and coat them with flour.

In a bigger bowl, combine the brown butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar.

Stir. It. Up.

Add the egg.

And the vanilla extract.

Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture.

Scoop out dough slightly larger than a tablespoon. Roll into a ball and place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. These cookies don't spread too much, so a good inch and a half apart should be safe. Bake around 13 minutes in a 350º oven.

The edges are crisp and golden.

The middle is soft and chewy.

And by the grace of God my nail polish was still on. Isn't it pretty? It's Essie's Beyond Cozy. Perfect for the holidays and cookie-eating.

Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies (makes about 18 medium cookies)

3/4 c + 2 tbs all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
3/4 c + 2 tbs old-fashioned oats
1/3 c dried cranberries
1/3 c cinnamon chips
1/2 c brown butter, cooled
1/2 c brown sugar
1/3 c granulated sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 350º. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  • In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir in the oats, cranberries, and cinnamon chips.
  • In a large bowl, mix brown butter and sugars until fully incorporated. Stir in the egg and vanilla extract. 
  • Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Portion out heaping tablespoonfuls of dough and roll into balls. Place on cookie sheet about 1.5-2 inches apart. Bake 12-15 minutes or until slightly golden brown. Let cookies cool fully on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment